Wednesday 3 March 2010

My First Day at School... as a teacher.

So, I woke up on Tuesday 2nd March 2010 at 6am - which was lucky because it took me a while to set it properly the night before as the instructions were all in Korean - to start my job as an English teacher! I should've got up earlier really because my co-teacher came an hour later to witness me sockless and still doing up my tie. I also had to go back to get my belt, which was embarrassing..

Anyway, after a cold walk to the school, I arrived at my desk! I sit opposite my co-teacher and next to another random teacher, who I have barely spoken to yet. My vice principal sits behind me, which is a little scary, but he seems really friendly actually. I suppose when everyone else in the school is literally bowing to him and the principal you automatically feel their power.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that on our way to school my co-teacher told me that I would not only have to introduce myself at the teachers meeting in front of the principal etc but also all of the students at the opening ceremony. My first question was: 'How many students does the school have?' She said that it was 40 classes of 30 students each, which I worked out to be about 1200 students. Great. My second question: 'Are you winding me up?' She wasn't.

So, I stumble out into the cold school playground (it was handy that it was cold because it kept me from sweating as much (good tip for you there by the way, Chris: keep cool)) and I realise that they probably will understand very little of what I have to say anyway. All the teachers were having their name called out and I soon realise that none of them are speaking and that I'll be the only one saying anything. So, they called out my name and all the girls in the crowd started screaming, and maybe some boys too, I wasn't sure :P But, I later found out that this isn't uncommon and I wasn't special after all :( When I started talking, I ended up going for the 'short and sweet' option and kind of blurted out my name and that I was from the UK and that I hoped they'll do well this year. Like ripping off a plaster.

Everyone at the school is really friendly and kind to me and I'm trying to speak slower and more enunciated for them to understand me better.

Some Korean school cultural differences I've discovered:
  • Everyone takes their shoes off and puts slippers on before entering the school, except the teachers who do it in the office.
  • There is about 25 minutes put aside at the end of the day in which the STUDENTS clean up the school. And, no, Dad, they don't put out wet floor signs, and, yes, I almost slipped up ;)
  • I'm not sure if it's only this school, but there is a 5-minute warning 'bell' that actually sounds like an ice cream van jingle.
  • Everyone bows to the next person up in the school heirarchy, e.g. students nod to their teachers and teachers to the principals etc.
  • Again, I'm not sure if it's just this school, but they seem to have spent half the school budget on the principal's office to kit it out with oak, leather, and flat screen TVs... It looks a little bit like Tony Montana's office room in Scarface actually - minus the cocaine and weaponry cupboard of course (but who really knows eh?).

And, by the way, I don't teach until next week as this week is being put aside for me to 'prepare' (apparently my lesson plan was 'great' and immediately sent out to the other English teachers to confirm :o).

Tonight I'm off out with the Incheon EPIK lot to Bupyeong and Friday I'm going out with the English teachers at the school!

소주 주세요!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Lee! So I take it the qwerty key boards have both Korean and English letters on or...?
Can't believe your vice sits behind you. They don't have their own office then?
Glad to hear its going well :)

leewhat said...

yeah the keyboards have both english and korean lettering on them and there's a button to switch between the two :) if it was only korean, i'd be screwed.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hot Sonakshi Sinha, Car Price in India